Want to work camp this summer? Or next summer? This post is for you!
I spent a number of days this fall interviewing college students and young adults who are interested in getting hired by CentriKid Camps to serve on a team next summer. From my time interviewing, here are some things I’ve seen that are very important…
1. Focus on your relationship with God. It’s THE most important thing. We want staffers who are growing in the Lord, maturing in their faith, seeking to learn and be mentored by others, and not just doing the Sunday thing. A growing walk with the Lord is key, whether you get hired by us or not.
2. Work with kids. Spend time with them, hang out with them, show us you really do enjoy ministering to kids outside of camp. One of the best ways for us to know that you’d be great at kids camp is to prove yourself in other areas of ministry. We love to see students who have a passion for ministry, especially kids ministry. Your experience shows! Don’t have any? That’s ok. Not everyone does, so be honest about where you are in life. VBS, student ministry, and even babysitting are all great places to start!
3. Demonstrate that you are teachable. No one is perfect. Nobody has all the answers, and that’s okay. Be willing to learn and grow. Do you listen to other people? Do you have older/wiser Christ followers pouring into you? Would your old boss say you asked questions and worked hard to learn? There’s a big learning curve at camp, so a teachable spirit goes a long way!
4. Work hard. At school, at home, at work, at play… wherever you are, work hard! Don’t be a slacker. Be the go-to person for any project or task that you’ve been given.
5. Be a team player. You may be the shining star at school or at work, but when you get to camp, it’s not all about you. You’ll have a huge opportunity to be a part of a fantastic team of people who love kids and want to do great ministry! Demonstrate that you have experience being a team player!
This list is not exhaustive. Most of all, be yourself. We want to really get to know you. CentriKid is not a fit for everyone, and we certainly can’t hire every person who applies. Don’t stress out about that! God has a plan much bigger than camp for your life and for mine. Let’s trust that, and do our part to be faithful to his calling.
Sound fun? Apply here!
Meredith Teasley works on our recruiting team, and posted some “what not to do” tips on her personal blog. You can read more about what we look for in camp staffers by reading about our cultural imperatives. Follow Meredith on twitter to keep up with what she’s doing when she’s not on the road.