I originally shared this game as a part of Lifeway’s Kids Ministry Conference 2010.
One of our favorite games at CentriKid is Relay Mania. It is awesome for several reasons:
- It can last as long as you need it to last.
- You can play with as few as 6 kids, or as many as 100.
- You can use whatever supplies you have lying around.
- Adapt this game for any theme you’re promoting at church.
Before you play, gather supplies (any random objects or sports equipment will work) and divide them equally among teams, so that each team has the same number of supplies. Dump all of each team’s supplies on one side of the field in separate piles for each team. We recommend using a hoola hoop for each team. Once you’ve done that…
Divide kids into equally-sized teams, or get as close as you can. Line each team up on one side of the field, opposite their hoola hoop or pile of stuff. It’s a good idea to use a cone or other marker for each team’s starting point.
Remember, each teammate carries the items from the person before them PLUS an additional item, until the last person is carrying EVERYTHING. BALLOONS make this game very challenging and quite hilarious to watch!
Here are a few topics to talk about with this game as you ask kids to reflect back on what it felt like to carry all that stuff:
- Carry one another’s burdens.
- Casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares about you (1 Peter 5:7 HCSB).
- Be careful what you put in your bucket (things that influence you, what you value, etc.)
- We try to hold on to too much all by ourselves… give it to God!
- Look what Christ did for us, that we could not do on our own. (Romans 6:5 and following)
Confused? If you have questions about the game, feel free to post them in the comments, and we’ll do our best to answer those for you! Have fun out there!