Helium stick is a simple problem-solving game we’ve used in training leaders for our CentriKid Camps staff. It is one that you can use with your Kid’s Ministry leaders or with kids, as it is easy to understand and can be discussed with any age group.
- Split your group in half and have one half of the team facing the other half.
- Stand shoulder to shoulder, elbows at your waste, forearms extended to the person in front of you.
- Your index fingers should be extended toward the person opposite you, and your fingers and hands should be even with the person standing in front of you and parallel to the ground.
- Imagine you are a chemical waste company contracted to replace the chemical piping for a plant that produces Clorox bleach.
- In removing all the old piping you have come upon some unlabeled piping, and because you are unsure of what’s in the piping, you cannot spill its contents as you remove the piping.
- Unfortunately, you are unable to secure a suction devise to remove the liquids so you have to gather your team to remove it manually. Say: I am going to place the “pipe” over your fingers.
- All fingers must maintain contact with the pipe at all times to provide stability.
- You are not allowed to hold your fingers at an angle. They must remain parallel to the ground.
- You are not allowed to curl your fingers around the pipe – the pipe may only rest on the tops of your pointer fingers.
- You will have 3 attempts to complete this task. After each attempt, you will be given some time to discuss a better course of action.
- You have just a few minutes to set this pipe on the ground. – Go!
Possible Debriefing Questions:
- How were you limited?
- Did you feel like you were able to act upon the instructions I gave you? Why or Why not?
- Was the majority of your group leaders or followers?
Application: Rest assured that despite the fact that this activity seemed impossible – it really is possible. The same is true with God – nothing He calls us to is designed to make us fail. Romans 8:28 states that God has good purposes and plans for those who have faith in Him. Despite our limitations, God has given us everything we need. We need to have faith to go despite the obvious obstacles.