Reading is so important for leadership growth and personal growth as well. You don’t necessarily need to read the same books that I’m reading, but here are 5 types of books you should consider as you build your leadership reading plan.
- Something for growth. Pick something for spiritual growth or personal growth. This is what strengthens your core as a leader.
- Something for enjoyment. Grab a novel, pick out a fun blog to read every day, or do some research on a hobby.
- Something my leader asked me to read. Several times in my career, my leader has selected a book for me (or for our team), and these books help set the course for our work and align our goals.
- Something with my team that I lead. Much like the books that my leader prescribes, I’ve chosen books along the way to walk through with the CentriKid office team. These lead to great discussions and also help with unifying our efforts and language as we work together.
- Something with another coworker to discuss. I’ve not done this often, but I am currently working through a book with the sole purpose of discussing it with a co-worker. It’s a mutual investment opportunity so we can pour into each other.
There are so many good things out there to read. Don’t get bogged down with picking the perfect book. Get started reading and you’ll start to enjoy the benefits. We’ve got a few books we recommend on “The Essential Camp Leadership Reading List.” Good luck as you develop your leadership reading plan!